Wednesday, July 1, 2015

We Need Cheerleaders & Comrades

I thought I didn't need cheerleaders.  I admit it's nice to feel appreciated and get accolades when I'm working or after a job is finished, but I'll do what I need to do whether I get praised for it or not.  My workouts are the same way: I'm there to make myself healthy--not to show off for anyone else.  So this last weekend when I ran in a local adventure race (a.k.a. obstacle course race!!), I was surprised by how energized I was when I heard cheers from my friends and family from the sidelines.

 UL Navy blue


This is the first race of like this that I've done.  It was hard, but it was fun!  Here is the general gist of the tasks that were included: get sprayed by fire hose while looking for my own soggy shoes, run into a river, eat a frozen popsicle, run over a table, through a wading pool, run through tires, hurdle a pair of rafting boats, crawl through a 34" pipe, run some more, hurdle hay stacks, crawl through mud under ropes, run, jump over burning logs, over a 4' wall, over an 8' wall, through another splash pool, and around the course again (minus the river and the popsicle).  I didn't win.  I kind of got stuck on the brain freeze popsicle station.  AFTER the race I learned some tricks on that one.  Oh well.  Now I know for next time.

As I was running through the course, I would periodically hear my name.  It was super amazing and really encouraging.  It's almost like it gave me a little boost of energy.  Here's a picture of the other thing that gave me a boost of energy--seeing my amazing friend just ahead of me.  She was so awesome and signed up with me.  Sweet, brave friend!!!  We didn't finish first, but we had fun and were really proud of ourselves at the end.


Not too long ago, I talked about doing things that are new to us.  This was one of those things.  Life isn't meant to be a spectator sport, friends.  Go live!  Have fun!  That doesn't mean be destructive and hurtful.  Have new adventures with old friends.  Enjoy the blessings God has given you.

I'd love to hear about a new adventure you've had and how it energized you.  Please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment