Monday, June 29, 2015

I Didn't Want To Share With My Daughter

My daughter wants to paint.  She asked me to show her how to paint.  Most of my painting these days is done on walls, but I really enjoy painting on canvas.  In fact, I was just 10-years-old when I first painted on canvas...the same age my daughter is now.  

I don't really remember what it was that caused me to want to paint when I was young. I just liked to draw and paint.  I took a couple art classes during summer breaks as something to do to.  I did art class in school like every other kid.  Somewhere along the line the opportunity came up for me to take private lessons with my art teacher, so my parents signed me up, and away I went.  I painted for a while during lessons, and then after we moved, it was mostly relegated to high school art class. Outside of art class, I would paint occasionally, but not very frequently...until last year.

I hadn't really painted on canvas since before my kids were born, but then an art type project came up at my church that I participated in...and painted on canvas once again.  I loved it!  I forgot how much I loved it.  I've talked before how sometimes we forget that we like to do something.  Painting was one of those things.  It is also my thing.  My husband is creative and artistic, but in a different way than I am.  He likes to draw and sketch, and he builds things--amazing things--but he doesn't paint. My son also likes to draw, but not really paint.  Baby girl likes to color and design clothes on sketch pads.  It's quite adorable, really, but painting seems to be something that is just mine...until now.


 UL berry red


I'm not sure why I was hesitant to share painting with my daughter.  Maybe I was being selfish, or maybe I am lacking in confidence in my ability to teach her how to paint.  I don't know, but then it dawned on me that this could be something really special that she and I can share.

We had our first lesson a few days ago.  It wasn't very formal, and we didn't even paint.  We just talked about seeing colors.  We looked at peach tree in our backyard as the was starting to set behind it.  We talked about that it wasn't just green and brown.  It was green, and yellow, and florescent green and even white where the sun reflected off the leaves.  It's actually become a game for us. What colors do you see?  And it's really precious.

What things have you forgotten that you like to do?  Is it something creative?  Is it something you can share with someone you love?  I encourage you to revisit it, and comment about it below.

Thanks for stopping by.  As always, you can click on the pictures in my blog to purchase those expressions for your own home or office.

No comments:

Post a Comment