Monday, June 8, 2015

I (Don't) Need Approval

My husband has been at his current job for the last 7 years.  I've heard all sorts of statistics saying that is very out of the ordinary these days.  Most people have 15,000 jobs by the time they're 45 and the average stay at any given job is less than 2 days, or something like that...those may not be the exact numbers I heard.  My point is he's been there much longer than the current average.  One week ago, he gave notice that he will be leaving.  He's good at what he does.  In fact, he's really good at what he does.  And now he's leaving to go back to his first love: construction.

As a little teaser of upcoming events (and because I am really excited about it), I posted one of those cryptic messages on my facebook page that annoys everyone and makes them curious at the same time.  I didn't do it to be annoying exactly, but I wanted to say something to put it out there and yet I wasn't able to say anything about details because all affected parties weren't notified yet.  The response was as I expected; I got several private messages, public speculation, and in person inquiries as to what the exciting things happening at my house were.  What I didn't expect was negative response from some of them.  I'm not sure why I didn't expect it, but I really didn't.

 UL Peony Pink


The irony is that I don't really care.  I know that their lack of enthusiastic response is seated in their desire for our well being, but some of the looks I received said, "Wow.  You guys are crazy." We may be crazy.  Who knows?  We do feel like this is the direction God is leading us, and therefore say in response,"Who are we (or you) to question that?" We are not moving blindly or foolishly forward, but are doing our best to hear God and follow the direction He is leading us.

When my hubby took his last job 7 years ago, it was a definite answer to prayer.  I know that God provided that job for us without any doubt in my mind.  I have no doubt that He will provide for us again.  He loves and feeds the birds of the air, and He does the same for us.

It's just time to move on from there.  We'd love to have your support, but we are not going to stop moving in this direction because we don't have unanimous votes from every person around us.  We are well aware that we have been in the construction industry before and that we walked away from it, too.  I'm pretty sure I've learned a couple things in the last 10 years, and I hope we are not the same people we were then, either.  We're moving on.

I must give credit where credit is due, though.  Our closest friends have been wonderfully understanding and supportive of our decision.  They know we are not impulsive and irresponsible when it comes to these types of decisions.  To those friends, I say thank you. It still isn't a requirement to have positive approval, but it's nice to have.

What thing are you moving on from that others might not understand?  Or are you one of the naysayers? Please comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment