Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Sometimes I Forget How Awesome I Am

Tomorrow's WOD is a partner WOD at my box.  If you have no idea what I just said, let me translate: tomorrow's workout of the day is a partner workout at my crossfit gym.  Ick.  It's not that I don't like the people I work out with.  In fact, they are a pretty stellar bunch of folk to work out with.  It's that I don't like to subject them to my slow.  I'd rather just do half the workout and call it good, but that's kind of missing the point isn't it?  It's working together and pushing yourself more than you probably would if you were doing it on your own.  There's just something motivating about having your partner holding a plank pose while you do power cleans...unless you're just a cruel, cruel person.

As I said before, I'd rather just do half the workout and be done.  On some level, I guess I just feel not worthy to have a partner work with me.  I'm not the fastest, by any stretch.  I'm fairly strong, but not the strongest.  I can go for a long time, but there are others that can go longer.  Here's the kicker: I'm not comparing myself to average.  Average is home in bed still by the time I've done my workout and already started my day.  I'm comparing myself to excellence and that leaves me in a pretty amazing place.  These aren't even average gym goers.  These are crossfitters.

 UL fresh linen


As I was publicly complaining about the workout on the facebook page, one of my workout buddies responded by saying he'd be my workout partner.  Just someone being willing to pipe up and say, "Hey, I'll stick it out with you," reminded me that I'm worth working out with.  I'm worth hanging out with.  In fact, I'm pretty darn awesome.  That's the beauty of community.  That's why God designed us to be in relationships with those around us.  We are created for community.

What's your awesome that you forget about sometimes?  Please comment below--and I'm not just saying that.  I really love feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment