Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My Parents Doubted I Could Do It

If you've read my blog before, then you know I recently earned my black belt in karate.  It has been quite a journey, and often a struggle along the way.  It should be a struggle.  It's supposed to be hard. That's why it's an honor to hold a black belt.  That's why it's impressive.  

At my promotion ceremony, my parents were, of course in attendance.  It's a fun evening of looking back at where I started, looking to the future and a bit of roasting and toasting from those that have worked with me.  Guests are also allowed to share, so naturally my parents expressed their pride...and surprise that I earned my belt.  Surprise?  Yes, they expressed surprise that I got it.  

At the time, it didn't strike me as strange that my parents were surprised I got my belt.  I knew what he meant when my dad told me of all the kids in our family, he was surprised that I was the one who earned my black belt.  What he was referring to was the fact that I was the shy kid--the quiet, non-trouble making, band nerd who did what I was supposed to.  I played sports, but mostly because I thought it was fun.  I didn't have anything to prove.  I wouldn't say I'm especially gifted athletically. I'm not implying that one has to be an aggressive, super jock, trouble maker to be interested in karate. That's not it at all. (And often those types of people will not stick around very long because of the discipline and respect that should go hand in hand with studying martial arts.)  It's just that I probably didn't do much outside of my comfort zone.  I did activities, but on the safer side of things.  I didn't get in fights--I often talked my way out of them.  I didn't have a desire to hit things. I was the mild mannered Clark Kent kind of kid.


 UL valencia orange & navy


Little did they know that I have this driven, kick ass side of me hidden deep down.  My mom remembered when I was bullied a bit in high school.  I was the peace maker, the non-wave maker.  I had opportunity to study karate at that point, but chose not to.  I wasn't ready and it wasn't the right time.  I probably wouldn't have landed at the school I'm at now, even though they were around back then.  God had other plans for me, as He often does.  I had to learn more about myself before I could start on this martial arts journey.

I'm okay with surprising people.  I'm okay with surprising my parents.  I'm okay with surprising myself.  It seems to be a pattern these days, and it's one I'd like to keep going.

What have you done that surprised others around you?  Did it surprise you?  Please comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment