Monday, July 13, 2015

The Good Thing About Selfies

I'm not one to take a lot of selfies.  I just don't.  Maybe I'm too old to start taking selfies, or maybe I tend to see my imperfections when I look at them--even though there's a lot of good to see, too.  It's not that I think selfies are bad per se.  I do think it's easy to get too carried away with them, though. Do we really need to take a picture every time we go somewhere outside our house?  Really?  My understanding is that kids rate their popularity by how many likes a post gets.  Are you kidding me? I'm so glad there weren't numbers like that when I was in high school.  That's all I have to say about that.

On the flip side, there are positives of taking selfies.  If we are being honest, we should be recording our lives.  As a parent, I see my children growing much too quickly, and it only seems to be speeding up. As grown ups, we don't see ourselves change.  We should be growing mentally and spiritually, but we don't really grow physically like kids do.  It's fun, though, to see our kids change and how quickly it happens.


 UL Sugared Plum & Fresh Linen


Here's my challenge to you (and to myself!): take some selfies.  Take them by yourself, sure, but take them with your friends and your family.  Since our lives are worth living, they are also worth recording.  At my black belt promotion in May, I was blessed to watch a slideshow of my last 6 years at karate.  It was a lot of fun and they were definitely not pictures I would have taken of myself.  I was sweaty and red faced in a lot of them, but I noticed something else, too; I was smiling in almost all of them.  It reminded me of the joy I had along the journey, rather than just remembering the bumpy spots.

So go selfie!  Laugh and smile and be silly and have fun...and remember it.  While you're at it, please comment below.  Have a beautiful day, friends.  Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment