Monday, July 20, 2015

Always Be Yourself. Seriously.

My 20th high school reunion is this next weekend...less than 1 week away.  A lot of the people I graduated with, I haven't seen for the entire 20 years.  Some I've seen occasionally at the grocery store, a few I've stayed in touch with, but for the most part, it will be a group of people coming together after a really long time, that didn't really stay in touch for one reason or another.  It's really kind of weird if you honestly think about it.

I was a little nervous about it when it first came up, but the more I got to thinking about it, I wondered why I was nervous.  I really like who I was.  I was the band nerd who was friends with the popular kids, and it was a small school anyway, so everyone really knew everyone.  But we're not going back to 1995.  It's 2015, and we're all grown ups now.  I'm really proud of who I am and what I've become.  Are there more things that I want to do?  Absolutely.  There always will be.  I'm a dreamer.  Are there things I would have done differently?  Not many.

So here's to being proud of who I am.  Here's to each of us being comfortable in our own skin.  My plan is to look back with fondness (and relief that I not still there!), and to look ahead to where I'm going with excitement.  And if all else fails, I'll take cue from my 12-year-old son:

 UL matte black

This expression was just released last week, and it is perfect for him.  He randomly tells me that he is Batman.  He's such a 12-year-old boy...

I'd love to hear your feelings about an upcoming or past high school reunion.  Please comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment