Monday, July 6, 2015

I'm Late to the Game

I went to college, but only for 2 years.  I never finished, and I really don't want to.  There are occasional moments when I have a tiny niggling to go back and finish, but then it passes and life moves on again.  It's not that I don't believe in college.  I do believe that education is invaluable and college can be very useful.  I do want my kids to go to college, but I don't want them to go into debt for it.  My point in all this is not to say that college is bad, or good, for that matter.  My point is that I never finished, and I'm okay with that.

As I was preparing to take my black belt test, it occurred to me that I'm a little late in starting this whole karate thing.  I was 32-years-old when I started taking karate lessons.  Granted I didn't start it just for me, but I was 32, just the same.  I earned my black belt when I was 38 (yes, it was about a month ago).  During the time that I was studying to be a black belt, I also started redefining what I want my business to look like.  With the help of a coach, I've totally changed what it looks like and am now moving forward with it.  I've read more in the last couple years than I have in, well, that's not true.  I love to read.

 UL Caribbean Blue


All this is to say that you don't have to be 20 and decide what you want to do with your life forever. You can be 31 and go back to work, or school.  I'm pretty sure I've heard on more than one occasion that Colonel Sanders was 67 when he started Kentucky Fried Chicken.  You can be 38 and start a new business, or just learn a new skill.  It doesn't have to be a skill that becomes a business.  It could just be something you want to learn.  There are so many resources available to learn things.  It's an amazing time to live!  So go live.  Live the life that God has given you.  Use and grow the talents He has given you.  Just be intentional.  Intentionally live.  Intentionally learn.  Intentionally love those around you and what you do.

What new skill have you learned just for the sake of learning it...because you thought it would be enjoyable? And how old were you when you learned it?   Please comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment