Friday, July 24, 2015

Do You Manage Time Well?

Do you manage your time well?  I like to think I do, but as I write this, it is 9:15 p.m. on the eve of publishing it...so I may not be as good as I originally thought.  That being said, I usually am pretty good with my time.  I've picked up a lot of tips of the years in various books and out of necessity, especially as I was preparing for my black belt test.  I'll share a few things in hopes that it can remind me that a) I do know how to manage my time (so do it, Jennille!), and b) maybe it will help a few of my faithful readers out there.

First things first.  My kids are still learning this one, but it's much less stressful to get the work done then go play.  If I only have a set amount of time to get everything done, it's going to nag me in the back of my mind because I know that I should be doing the work first.  If I get making those business phone calls first, then it's not poking my conscience while I'm doing other things.  Get 'er done, as Larry the Cable guy says.

Of course, everyone knows we need to prioritize, but it's oh so much easier to do the less demanding tasks first...no explanation needed here.  See the "first" point...

Here's another tip: look at your schedule in blocks.  For me, since I work a full time job, have a business on the side, blog regularly, study karate two nights a week, and have a regular small group Bible study night...on top of taking care of my family and home...well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out there isn't much extra time laying around my schedule.  I look at the times I have available to see clients.  I know I have Wednesday or Friday nights, or Saturday mornings available.  I can also see clients on my lunch hour, but I know I will feel more rushed.  Those are the times I have available.  Did I mention I crossfit, too?  It's important to take care of me, so that happens at 5 a.m.  Yep.  I go workout at 5 a.m.  I know it sounds crazy, but my own health also needs to be a priority so I can do all the other things I want/need to do.  I know that writing & devotional time is early in the morning (usually, but not tonight!), and reading time is before bed.  It's not that I am so rigidly scheduled, but I do have to look at what time is available to me and take advantage of it.

 shown in UL matte black


I could go on and on about time management, but I'm going to leave you with this tip: it's okay to leave things undone, and it's okay to ask for help.  Sometimes, I'll admit my laundry gets piled up a bit higher than I'd like, and I have to give myself enough grace to leave it.  I really love having all the clothes clean, but let's be real, it doesn't happen very often.  Walk away.  Close the door to the laundry room.  It's okay.  If you have helpers at your house, then be humble enough to ask for help...then let them help--even if it's not the way you would do it.  When my husband and I got married, for a really long time I told him to not fold the laundry because I was so anal about how it should be folded.  Then the kids got bigger and the clothes got bigger and it took more loads and more time.  Now I let the kids sort and fold and deliver.  They all put their own clothes away.  Sure we're a little more wrinkly, but they're not naked, right?

I'd LOVE to hear what time management tips you use.  Please comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment