Friday, January 6, 2017

Your Application

A while back , I alluded to a relationship challenge.  It would be arrogant and ridiculous to imply that I never have any challenges, but it doesn't seem to happen too often, fortunately.  It would be inappropriate for me to divulge names and details of the rift, but suffice it to say, it's an ongoing issue to a certain extent, as sometimes we are unable to walk completely away from some relationships. The only other option is reconciliation.  As I pondered what it means to reconcile and heal, there came realization of what exactly is so hard: application.

Application is the self-discipline portion of the relationship.  Application is where we simultaneously acknowledge the wrong done and look you in the eye and say, "I still like you." It's the part where we act on the base of love that the relationship was built on, rather than the more recent hurt that we see every time we look at that person...and that is difficult.  There is no arguing that sometimes we want to be mad.  We want to live in our hurt place because we're justified.  We are righteous in our anger or hurt.  So what does it look like to apply healing in a wounded relationship?

 color: UL mulberry wine


I'm sure it looks like a lot of different things to heal a rift.  It could look like a hug and "I love you" when you see that person.  It could look like a smile and a bit of joking like old times.  It's sampling the waters and it has to come back slowly.  There is no quick fix for a deep wound.  Here's the part of application that takes the most tenacity: it's a choice. I must choose to act in forgiveness rather than in the hurt I still feel.  Let me say that again: I must choose to act in forgiveness rather than in the hurt I still feel.

That is your (and my!) assignment today.  Go.

Make it a beautiful day, friends.

After your realization that you've been hanging on to your anger sinks in, run over to Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for some fun.  Thank you for sharing and subscribing.  You're a rock star. Now go act like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment