Monday, January 23, 2017

Call for Backup!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my website...basically from scratch.  I thought it was pretty good the last go round--until I had a professional web designer look at it for me and give me some feedback.  I was swiftly reminded that I don't know what I don't know.  

As I evaluate and re-evaluate and process and reprocess what it is that I want my professional website to say to my clients, it would be very easy to get lost in the minutia that is the psychology of selling and dispersing information online.  It's no wonder companies spend thousands and thousands of dollars to build websites.  It's madness!  But I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend (yet) and I don't believe in going into debt, so I'm finding a way to make it work.  I'm asking for help.

I know a lot of business people.  Many of my friends are entrepreneurial.  It's pretty cool, actually. So I looked at who did the website for the successful dentist, the exploding headband company, the jammin' custom jump rope maker, and you know what I found?  It was all the same person.  So I called him.  He was gracious enough to acknowledge my budget restrictions and meet me where I was at.  A consult became the plan to head my internet ship on the right current.  A consult he did and a website to rebuild, I have.

 color: UL cherry red
Want this for your wall?  Get it here.


I am under no illusions that having a great website automatically makes a great business, but it is often the very first interaction people have with a business in this digital age we live in.  So where am I going with all this rambling about ineffective web presence and business friends?  I simply want to remind you that it's okay to admit when you don't know something.  Even someone like me (who appears to know a bit about everything) is at a loss sometimes.  Call for reinforcements.  You may just end up better in the end...in fact, I'm sure you will.

Make it a beautiful day, friends.

When you're done learning your lesson for today, and you realize you are ready for a better and more effective web presence, check out this guy.  Justin Farr is really creative and smart...and very patient with those of us that insist on doing it ourselves.  He does an even more amazing job when you let him do what he does best.

No comments:

Post a Comment