Friday, August 14, 2015

Let's Teach Our Kids The Dignity of Work

There is dignity in working.  I'm not just talking about at a job, but about work in general.  When I have a task to complete and I see it through to the end, I feel a sense of satisfaction when it's done.  It doesn't matter if it's doing the dishes, mowing the lawn, or completing my black belt test.  When I've put the work in, it's satisfying to finish it.  Period.  There is dignity and respect in that.  

I'm very tempted to get on my soap box today about the abuse of the non-working, system abusers.  I saw more than one example, just today, of people using the welfare system in a way that it was not intended to be used.  But I'm not going to go there.  Instead, what I want to emphasize is that work is a good thing.  

 UL peach sorbet & pumpkin spice


Google's online dictionary defined dignity as "the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect." Or "a sense of pride in oneself." I believe work provides that...in all it's different forms.  I get tired of seeing the abuse of the welfare system, but more than that I get really tired of hearing people talk about work like it is a bad thing.  We need to work.  We don't just need to be busy.  That's not it at all, and it's counterproductive.  Besides giving dignity and self-respect, it provides purpose. Let's celebrate that, and remain humble in our blessing of having the ability to work.  I don't care if you are a ditch digger, a doctor, or a drive-through window operator.  Own what you do, and sincerely do it to the best of your ability.  Be blessed by your own dignity and be proud of what you do.

When I was helping my son to work towards his goals, I was so glad of the fact that he was being rewarded for his hard work.  What an amazing lesson!

I'd love to hear about a moment when you realized that you were proud of yourself for work you had done, or that your children did.  Please comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment