Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Broken Crayons Still Color

We are all made in God's image, therefore we have the capacity to create.  Creativity can look like a million different things.  It can be painting, drawing, building, entrepreneurship.  It's not limited. That is the beauty of creativity.  It's creating something new from something else. 

The other side of the story is we live in a broken world.  Sometimes when I create something, whether it be a story I've written, a painting I've painted, or even just a vinyl expression I've put on the wall,  I don't always want to share it.  I try to justify it in my mind by saying that I did it for me, and I didn't do it for other people--which is true to an extent.  Really, though, I'm scared.  The doubt voice creeps into my head and says,

"What if they laugh at me?"
"What if they make fun of/criticize/say anything about my work?" 

But it's okay.  I won't die, and I laugh at me all the time.  One of the concepts that Jon Acuff talks about in his book Start, is the voices in our head.  (One of my favorite books, by the way.) We all have them, but the point he made is that none of us has a positive voice.  Ouch.  We know and trust this voice...because we've heard it all our lives.  Just because we've heard it all our lives doesn't mean it's telling us the truth.

UL spring hyacinth


I am completely guilty of holding back on some of my work sometimes.  It was huge for me to start this blog.  I get that I'm starting this a bit later than most, and it would be easy for me to write it and not publish it.  Who wants to read what I think? What do I possibly have to say that would benefit anyone else?  Turns out that several people have benefited from what I have to say.  I've received feedback on my facebook page, emails, and in person from people that told me,

"That's just what I needed to hear today, Jennille."

Really? says the voice in my head.  Yes, really.  I'm not an expert on many things, but that doesn't mean I can't learn and share what I've learned.  Let's be creative.  Let's share and learn from each other.  Let's put our creative talents out there.  You never know, other people just might appreciate what you have to say.

I'd love to hear what you have to say.  If you are a fellow blogger, please post your address in the comments below and a brief summary of your topic.  Thanks for stopping by!  As always, click the picture to jump to my website if you'd like the expression shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment