Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Have You Changed At All?

I was recently talking with my coach.  When I originally started working with her, my goal was to utilize her business expertise, so she was my business coach.  The thing about me having a business? Well, people are involved...namely me.  If my business is not working it's probably because of something I'm doing or not doing.  I've learned in my life that it is immeasurably helpful to have an outside person take a look at my efforts sometimes and give feedback.  That's why I hired a coach, but I got oh so much more than that.

What I thought I wanted was someone to tell me, "Jennille, you need to do x and y, and then you will magically be successful, and by the way, you are amazing." We all know it doesn't work that way, but wouldn't it be great?  What I found that I didn't know I needed was someone to say, "I will help you.  I will be honest with you.  I do see x and y amazing things about you.  Let me show you how to use that for your benefit and those around you." Do you see the difference?  It's a truly amazing difference.  She doesn't just blow smoke and tell me nice things so I feel good about myself.  Through our conversations and probing deeper, she shows me true things about me that are good things that I can grow with.

 UL short board background


Over the last year and a half, I have had the privilege of working with Betsy, my coach.  She has helped me discover my strengths.  She has helped me how to see the truth about them (ie. yes, it is awesome to be a collector of information and ideas, and oh, by the way, that can also create a tendency to collect too much of other things, too.  Some people call it hoarding...)  She has also helped me define my business and my approach to it.  It's a joy.  A real joy.  Do you want to know my favorite part about learning all these things about myself?  Those things were in my before. God made me that way.  She is just helping me to uncover the pieces and put them together so that I can live my life to the fullest.  It's truly empowering.

Who do you have in your life that helps you grow?  Change is scary sometimes, but it's also beautiful.  Look back to 1 year ago from today.  Are you the same person you were then?  If yes, are you glad?  If you're not, are you glad?  I'd love to hear your thoughts below.


No comments:

Post a Comment