Monday, September 14, 2015

There's Nothing Like Accountability...or Lying

There is truly nothing like having to write it down or tell someone what you did to hold you true to your word.  It's effective on our eating habits, our thought patterns, or financial health. 

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I'm a Dave Ramsey fan.  It's true.  I think his system is pretty amazing and powerful.  Part of what makes it so powerful is that it came out of his place of brokenness...and the principles are based on the Bible.  Who knew the Bible had so much to say about money??  (We learned about that several years ago in the Crown Financial class, as well.)  Last year, my hubby and I went through Financial Peace University with some good friends of ours.  Now we're doing it again, but as coordinators.  Honestly, we're doing it as a refresher for us as much as we are doing it to help other people.

Here's where the accountability comes in: when you are the one teaching something, you'd better make sure you practice what you are teaching, or your students are going to see right through you.  We don't have everything down pat and it is a process making our finances work well, but we're heading in the right direction.  I pray that our fellow FPU-ers see that in us, and can see that we are real, and that we've been in a lot of yucky places with our money in the past.  We've learned from our mistakes and moved forward, but we are so far from perfect. 

 UL concord grape


One of the reasons, I believe, that FPU works so well is that it's a group.  Ours is a small group, and I'm okay with that.  It makes it a little easier to be vulnerable and truthful.  If we are so caught up in how things look or "should" be, then the help isn't able to sink in...and we stay in the place we are.  In a group we have the ability to hold each other accountable to what we say we are going to do.

My challenge to you today is to grab someone that you trust to be loving and honest with you.  Open yourself up to be challenged and honest with yourself.  Ask your friend to be a true friend and hold you accountable to whatever process you're working through: finance, health, marriage, food, whatever.  I'd love to hear how it goes.  Tell me about it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment