Friday, September 11, 2015

I'm Not As Funny As I Used to Be

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not funny ever.  In fact, sometimes I'm downright hilarious.   I crack myself up on a regular basis. (And, yes, I am aware I look like a crazy person walking down the hall by myself and then bursting into laughter.) The difference is that I used to hide behind humor

I'd be learning a new technique at karate and I'd mess up.  My initial response is to make fun of myself.  I don't do that as much anymore.  Don't get me wrong--I still mess up plenty, but I've learned to accept it and move on.  I don't have to hide my mistakes or get mad about it.  To expect perfection is ludicrous.  So I own it instead.  I own my mistakes.  I made them.  They are mine.  They are a part of me and my life.  I can learn from them and move on, or I can get stuck and feel bad about it and keep making the same mistake and stay in that weird non-moving, non-growing place.  As always, it's my choice.

 UL cotton candy & crimson red


I'm okay with not having to hide behind humor.  I still love to laugh and be silly.  I pray that never changes.  In the meantime, I'll listen and learn, hopefully.

What is something that has changed about you?  What called your attention to it?  Are you okay with it?  I'd love to hear your thoughts below.  No need to be shy.  I don't bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment