Friday, September 25, 2015

Sit!

I'm busy, like most people these days.  I work a full time job, in addition to taking care of my family and home, growing a business, as well as doing a small group Bible study once a week, karate twice a week, crossfit three times a week, and the list goes on...and those are just the things I do.  My kids have some of their own activities, too.   I manage my time pretty well, but I don't have much down time.  But today I got my car fixed.

How does getting my car fixed make me have down time, you ask?  Indeed!  Since I wasn't able to jump in my car at lunch to run 50 errands or switch laundry or check on my side project, or...you get the picture.  My car was still being worked on at lunch time.  It's that simple.  I could have wrangled up a car to drive or somewhere to go, but I didn't.  It was a perfect fall day, so I ate my lunch and went outside to the lawn and opened the Kindle app on my phone and read for a good 40 minutes.  It was beautiful.  I love reading and while I do try to read for 15-20 minutes each night, it is often not enough and I'm usually exhausted by then.  I just sat there under a tree and read.

 UL whipped cream


Being busy and managing multiple big things forces me to manage my time well, and to fit things into the little cracks of leftover time.  It also brings my attention to the little chunks of downtime and how to wisely use it for myself and my family.  I want to fully be there.  My favorite Uppercase Living expression I've had in my home for years says this:

Enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

When have you been forced to take a bit of downtime?  Did you enjoy it or did you get lost in the things you "should" be doing in your mind?  Please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment