Friday, September 4, 2015

Great Expectations

This is the second week of school for my kiddos.  Tonight was the open house for the middle school students, which includes my son, the now 7th grader.  (How he got to be in 7th grade when he was born last week, I'll never know.) Last year was a recovery year for him.  Due to some circumstances that were truly and completely beyond his control, 6th grade was a bit rough.  It was a good reminder that our actions do effect other people, but in this case, we were the other people...yuck.

It's a new year now and a perfect time for a fresh start.  We're off to a great start!  So far, so good! Yay! I am really excited for this upcoming school year because I really feel like the past is in the past for my young man.  Since the end of last school year, he has been on not one, but two trips without his parents.  He went on a mission trip a couple hundred miles away, and he went on a trip to Washington D.C. and New York City.  Those were both really big things.  He did them both and raised the money for both, by himself (with our support, of course).  That is so cool in and of itself, but it's empowering.  He knows that he has the tools to succeed because he already used them.  

 UL berry red & navy


It's funny that taking a trip could set a kid up for success in school, but I really believe it did.  If nothing else, he'll ace history class because of all the cool things he was able to visit, but it is so much more than that.  It's the fact that he had to work for it, but also that he got to reap the reward of his hard work.  

When I build on my past successes, it makes it easier to move forward with confidence.  What success in your past has helped you move forward with a positive outlook?  I'd love to hear about it below.  After you're done telling me about it, you can stop by my new website at www.JensWallsTalk.com for some inspiration for your walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment