Monday, March 30, 2015

Self-discipline Part 5: You Feeling Lucky?

I was on a mini vacation last week with my family.  We were in another state--South Dakota, to be more specific.  I thought it funny that every time I would tell someone that I was going to South Dakota for vacation they'd look at me funny and ask if I have family there.  But if I said we were going to Mount Rushmore, they would respond with some sort of awe inspired comment and say how cool it is.  It's all about perspective.

Since my hubby likes to drive, I got to do a lot of scenery watching.  I actually enjoy that and like to make up stories in my mind about how things or people got to be there in that specific place just as we happen to drive by.  I know, it's weird, but I just wonder sometimes.  As we were driving around, I noticed a lot of empty businesses in some of the small towns we were driving through.  My first thoughts tended toward if I had a million dollars and I were investing in this town what would I put in that building?  Or how about on that corner over there?  It would be cool to see such and such there...you get the point.  It's fun to imagine the possibilities!  (Maybe that's why I'm good at this color consulting thing--because I can see it in my mind.  Shameless plug, I know. Moving right along.)

 UL valencia orange & hot cocoa


It got me to thinking about empty businesses in my own town, back home.  There are several business sitting empty there, too.  Some pop open with new businesses every few months, it seems. Other spaces sit for a while before another business tries to make a go of it.  Some grow and flourish. Others fizzle and die fairly rapidly.  Certainly, there are a lot of factors that contribute to the success or failure of a business.  I don't know all the answers to that issue.  My point in making all these observations is that sometimes we need to reopen our eyes to the opportunities that are already around us.  Sometimes we are so used to seeing opportunities that we cease to see them anymore.  

 UL be prepared


Look around you.  I mean really look.  Look with new eyes.  See what is available to you.  Be prepared to grab them when opportunities come available.  Create the positive habits before you need them.  That's how those so-called lucky people make things happen.  Luck?  That's just when opportunity and preparation meet.  So let's take the few little lessons we've talked about over this last week or two in regards to self-discipline and start applying them now.  Then we'll see how lucky we are.

Agree or disagree?  Comment below.





No comments:

Post a Comment