Friday, March 6, 2015

Keep Calm and Don't Listen to the Voices in Your Head

You've heard it before, and I tell it to my children a lot.  

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. 

It applies to taking the trash out or doing the dishes, or anything else we do in life, like being a friend or wife or student.  I wasn't feeling like I had done anything well on Tuesday night when I was told that I need to postpone my black belt test...again.  I've been studying like crazy for this test.  My ever so patient husband hasn't complained too much about my extra study time, and I do try to keep it out of family time.  Nevertheless, it is time consuming and can be stressful.

Then one of my beautiful friends reminded me that perhaps I should look at this from the perspective of being thankful to God for and even "befriending" the problems and stress of this process.  This test, while definitely a physically grueling challenge, is my opportunity to shine.  It's my chance to show the testing board how I've taken ownership of my techniques and katas. While strenuous, it should also be exciting, and a bit of a chance to show off what I have learned the past 6 years.  This is one of my dreams.  When I first started karate, I had no idea that I would end up working towards my black belt.  I was doing it to keep my kiddo company.  It wasn't long before I realized that I really enjoyed it.  Now I want to get my black belt and then pass on what I have learned to others.

 Never Ever Give Up

This process is very hard, but I'm not giving up.  I'm learning to befriend the problem because I am growing and being stretched through this process.  I'm not excited to postpone my test one more time, but I know that when I do it, it will be for the right reasons and I will be doing it well.

What dream of yours stretches or has stretched you in your life?  Comment below.

P.S. You can now find me on Twitter @JensWallsTalk .  See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment