Friday, March 20, 2015

Self-Discipline Part 2: Remove Obstacles

Working out is a big deal to a lot of people.  Not working out is a big deal to a lot of people.

"I should go work out.  I haven't been to the gym in 6 months." You know you've done it.  I've done it, too.  It's very easy to make excuses to not go.

"I don't have time."
"I'll go tonight after work," and then something "happens" to come up.
"I was going to go, but then I..." you name it.   Blah, blah, blah.  It's all excuses.  And you know how excuses are: they're like armpits.  Everybody has a couple and they always stink.

 Uppercase Living a smooth sea


The truth is we know it's easy to not _____ (you fill in the blank; go to the gym, do the extra practice, write a book, read a book, work on your hustle, etc.).  Life happens and it's hard sometimes.  We've talked about it before.  Jesus himself said that we will have trouble in this world, so we know there will be bumps.  Part of developing more self-discipline is choosing to remove some of those bumps.  For example.  I work out at 5 a.m. (I know it's crazy, but that's the time that works for me.  More on that another time.) Since I do like sleep, I don't want to get up any earlier than I have to.  My alarm goes off at 4:26 a.m. and in that time I need to feed the dogs, make coffee, get dressed, and get out the door by 4:45 in order to get to the box by 5 a.m. when the class starts.  In order to make that happen more easily, I lay out my clothes the night before, so I'm not scrambling to find socks or a shirt in the dark (and because I don't want to wake up hubby), and I have the coffee pot ready to go.  Done.  Excuse removed.  

There are a lot of "reasons" (not really reasons, but excuses because we're being honest here, remember?) to not do your hustle, but let's begin to value ourselves more and begin to take care of what the good Lord gave us.  Instead of practicing mediocrity, let's practice making good choices for ourselves.  Good choices are just as much a habit as poor choices.  By choosing daily to make good choices for ourselves, whether it be food choices, exercise choices, work ethic choices, family communication choices, those individual choices are what makes our habits.  Our habits make our character, and our character makes our destiny.  So start today to make a better choice in your chosen area of focus.  Start with one thing.  Seriously.  Just one.  Don't try to improve everything all at once.  You won't be able to maintain it.  Eventually, discipline in one area of your life will spill over into other areas, but you can't start there.

 UL be you


Next time I'll be talking more about another aspect of self-discipline...the company we keep.

I'd love to hear what obstacles you are going to remove to work on your hustle!  Remember to start simple.  Comment below.

P. S.  Remember when you click on my graphics it will take you to my website where you can customize colors and purchase them to have in your home.


No comments:

Post a Comment