Monday, May 9, 2016

What Did You Catch?

I have heard it said that more is caught than taught when parenting our children.  While I had good parents that intentionally taught me a lot, I was fortunate enough to catch a lot of extra lessons.  In honor of mother's day, here are a few lessons I learned from my sweet mama.

1. My body may not be "model" perfect, but I'm healthy and strong, and proud of it.  Period.

2. Women can be in business, and do it well.  My dad used to say that my mom could sell ice to an Eskimo.  She didn't sell people something they didn't want.  She could help you understand that you really do need it.

3. It's okay to pursue your passion.  My mom is dog trainer.  Not only has she trained dogs for as long as I can remember, she's really good at it.  She took that passion from just teaching a weekly class to creating an entire program inside our state prison system.  She helps reform cast off dogs...and people.

4. It's okay to be weird.  The story goes at my house that my mom once asked me what I would be like if I had a normal mother? I'd be normal, was my response.  Now that I'm a little bit older than 17, I realize that it was a gift to be able to embrace my inner weirdo...and now I'm passing that lesson onto my daughter.

5. I may not be perfect, and I may not have always made perfect choices, but the buck stops here. We will make mistakes.  It's going to happen.  Own it.  Then move on.

6. You're stronger than you think you are. We don't know what life will bring our way. But we can get through it.

This list could go on forever.

 UL herb garden


I love you, Mom!  I'm so proud of you.  I'm so thankful that you really and truly have always supported me.  I'm so grateful that you have helped me become that mom that I am to my kids.

Thank you.

Make it a beautiful day, friends.

Thanks for subscribing and visiting me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@JensWallsTalk).  You can also visit me at www.JensWallsTalk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment