Monday, May 30, 2016

I'm A Fraud

There.  I said it.  It's out there.  If I say it, then someone else can't accuse me of it first.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not trying to trick anyone, or abuse anyone's trust.  But that's one of the lies the enemy whispers in my ear.

Remember the lies?  The enemy tries to trick us with lies.  There is usually some grain of truth in the lies.  That's why they stick.  It is truth that I don't have much formal training.  It is truth that I don't have classroom training past high school art class.  But it's also truth that I've taken online classes and read a ton of books about a variety of topics.  I've honestly read more books since being out of college than when I was an english major.  That feels good to say that.  I learn by doing and I really enjoy the process.  I am humble enough to know that I don't know everything.  I can ask for help.  I can find answers.  I can try another way.  I can brainstorm.  I can brainstorm with others.  The truth is I've done different and unrelated work that uses similar skills.  In the end, it's just paint and I can paint over it, and that's the truth.

I really struggled to put words to this post because I've been in a bit of a funk.  I've been afraid that someone will say that I'm not worth the money I'm being paid to do a rather large, relatively public project.  The truth is that not everyone is going to be a superfan of all my work.  Even my "superfans" will not love everything I do.  But I need to do it anyway.  I get to do it.  I'm creative.  I am an artist--as terrifyingly weird as that still sounds for me to say that--I am an artist.  It is part of my gifting and my calling, and it's part of what I must do.

 UL caribbean blue & electric pink
Board & expression available here.


What lies do you need to push through today?  In case you need a little extra nudge to keep pushing, here's an excellent video from photographer Jeremy Cowart.  (It's about 30 minutes long, but well worth watching until the end.)  Here's the link: http://jeremycowart.com/2016/02/im-possible/


Make it a beautiful day, friends.

Catch up with me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@JensWallsTalk) to see what I'm working on currently.  I truly appreciate your subscribing to this blog.  If you haven't yet, just enter your email in the subscribe box.  I promise to never sell or rent your information to anyone else.  By subscribing, you are ensured to receive each new post directly to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment