Monday, May 23, 2016

Respond Much?

Here's a thought: every interaction with another human is 95% neutral and only 5% intentionally geared to a specific response.  Let me say that again: 95% is neutral.  So what's up with everyone getting offended and having to be politically correct then?  Because we filter.  We filter through our experiences, our personality, our beliefs.  That's not a bad thing, but we need to add in a dose of perspective...as in the other guy's.

My daughter is growing exponentially in her artistic skills.  It's really cool to watch because she is most frequently working with a medium that I don't ever use: watercolors.  It's not that I don't like them, I just have not learned to enjoy that type of paint like I have others.  (Check out one of her pictures below!  I'm so excited to share it with you!!)  This morning she was working on a new picture called "Firework" while the rest of us were sipping coffee and eating toast at the same table. Someone made a comment about something in the picture (ie. "I like that color you're using there."), and she reacted...

"He said it was awful!"

Now I completely understand that my daughter is a fantastical, age 11 pre-teen queen, but the point remains the same: the feedback was completely neutral, but her perception and response was one of offense because she filtered it through the angle of being an incredibly sensitive, 11-year-old girl with a perfectionist attitude about her art.  What would happen if she (and the rest of us with her) took a step back and realized that the rest of the world is not out to get us, or offend us?  Wait for it...we might just get along a little bit better.

 UL Caribbean Blue


Make it a beautiful day, friends.

Here's is my sweetness' fabulous picture.  I believe she titled it "Raindrop." When I commented on the girl in the raindrop, she corrected me.  The girl is not in the raindrop.  You are looking through the raindrop at the girl.  It's all about perspective.



Thank you for sharing my posts when they hit a nerve with you.  I appreciate you subscribing, as well.  You can also catch up with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (@JensWallsTalk).


No comments:

Post a Comment