Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What Do You Want to Be?

A couple Sundays ago, it was Mother's Day.  It's always a lovely day of feeling a bit of the appreciation from my kiddos that they sometimes forget to express.  The same goes for me and my mom, too.  I often forget the sacrifices she made for me, the unwavering support, and encouragement to do whatever I wanted.  To celebrate Mother's Day this year, we decided to keep the celebration simple and just enjoy each others' company.  In other words, we went out to eat so someone else could clean up after us.

During the course of the meal, my mom got an excited look on her face and asked a question of my children,

"I haven't asked you guys in a while...what do you want to be when you grow up?"
Without missing a beat my beautiful girl piped up immediately with her response,

"I want to be a beautician, an ice skater, a teacher, a principal, a musician, a fashion designer, a dentist, a mommy, and a model."

Of course she does!  My mommy heart just beamed.  My sweet girl just struggles sometimes with her school work.  We've done all sorts of different testing to make sure nothing is "wrong" with her, but honestly, she's just perfect (aside from a stubborn streak a mile wide--that I have no clue where it came from...).  I really think she just looks at things differently than most people do, and that's not a bad thing.  In fact, it's an awesome thing.  I think most people get stuck in the sad land called average, where the cream of the crap is the norm.

 This girl! First time on the skate board.


My girl doesn't want to be one thing when she "grows up"--she wants to be 9 things.  And I believe she can do it, if she wants to.  Being stubborn is also called tenacious when it's used for something positive.  I'm sure eventually she'll whittle her list down, but it's not going to be from me telling her she can't do it.  She can do all things through Christ who strengthens her.

 UL sugared plum

What did you want to be when you were growing up?  Are you anything close to that now?  If not, would you like to?  Or are you glad you chose a different direction?  I'm starting to head back toward what I thought I wanted to do as a child: interior design.  While I'm not an interior designer, I am a Color and Inspiration Consultant.  Please comment below with your answers to my questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment