Monday, May 4, 2015

Life Lessons From a Jumprope

In a recent post, I talked about how I can be a bit scatterbrained.  It happens.  I'm also a restorative person, meaning I like to fix things.  It's why I'm good at my day job of being an optician.  People bring me broken glasses and I fix them.  

Since it might be viewed as a fault to be a bit on the scatterbrained side of things, it only seems natural that I would want to fix that particular feature about myself, or at least make it work better. As a crossfitter, we always work to have good form so as to avoid injuries, gain strength properly, and work efficiently.  The work outs are hard enough without me adding unnecessary movements.  Here's where the jump rope enters the picture.  My friend, Ian, just launched a new, super amazing company that makes super stellar jump ropes, Double Under Wonder.  As part of the super amazing-ness, he created these podcasts to help people learn about doing double unders (one jump, two times around with the rope), and to do them better.  Cool!  I get it, but it struck me as I was watching the intro video, that I'm while I'm definitely not doing my double unders as efficiently as I could, there are probably a whole lot more things that I could do a whole lot more efficiently.

(Just so you know what I'm talking about, here's the link to the video: "What is a Double Under" from February 26, 2015.)

It's cool to be able to see in slow motion how Tara is working inefficiently doing her double unders. She is exerting so much more effort than she really needs to.  It would be such an amazing gift to be able to view our lives in slow motion and analyze it to see how we could do things better or more efficiently.  But that's not really an option.  Life can only be lived at full speed ahead...and only understood looking backwards.  That doesn't mean that we can't take a little bit of time here and there to look at what we're doing and tweak things a bit.  Maybe it's just doing something simple like as you're cleaning house grab a basket and pick up everything in a room that doesn't belong and drop it off the next room that it belongs in as you make your way around the house.  Maybe it's journaling daily and instead of getting distracted from it, keep a separate sheet of paper handy to write down the other things you need to do so you don't have to try to remember them later or stop what you are doing.  Maybe it's scheduling one hour, once a month to reflect on things and see what is going well, and what could be done better.

 UL NEW peony pink


I would love to hear what little tweaks you've made in your day to work more efficiently.  I am far from efficient all the time.  Squirrel!  I am constantly making myself notes and lists, so that I don't have to waste my time trying to remember forgotten things.  Please comment below to tell me how you get things done well.

In the meantime, jump over to visit the great folks at www.DoubleUnderWonder.com to get a fantastic, customized jump rope.  If you'd like to get the "dreams don't work unless you do" expression, just click on the graphic to go directly to my website.




No comments:

Post a Comment