Friday, May 8, 2015

Run Your Race

It's very interesting to me that as I talk with people about my latest 5k experience with my daughter, I keep getting the same response and it goes something like this:

I bet she won't be doing that next year!

Then chuckles ensue and people start to get on with their day. These aren't slacker type people.  They are successful managers, business owners, parents, and friends.  They do things well and are people of excellence.  Yet it seemed they all wanted to let this 5K episode just hang out there. That idea didn't sit well with me.  It's not that I'm in denial that bad things happen in life.  However, if it's something that I do have control over and I have the option to change it...I think I should.

In Hebrews 12:1-2 it says "let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith." While we know that Paul wasn't specifically talking  about physically running a race in this passage, it does give us insight into the literal race that my kids and I ran.  I don't believe that God calls us to do anything half-heartedly.  Let us run with perseverance...persevere.  The literal translation of persevere?  Per means through.  Through severe. Let us run through through the severe the race marked out for us...the race God marks out for us. Through, as in, not stop in the middle.

 UL navy blue


So back to this infamous 5K.  I don't think that I need to force my girl to become a runner.  Is she a good runner?  Yes!  Could she become a great runner?  Probably.  That's not my point, though.  I don't want her to never try to run again because this was so hard for her on this occasion.  It won't always be this hard.  Let's just not get stuck in the middle of this rough spot.  Let's work through it together, and with God's help we can do anything!

What is your race that you are facing?  Are you persevering or getting stuck in the middle?


No comments:

Post a Comment