Friday, September 9, 2016

Clutter Confessions

I have a terribly embarrassing confession to make: my house is a disaster. To convince you of the truth of my confession, I'm actually including pictures (eek!).  It hasn't reached hoarder status, but it's on it's way.  I'm mortified that it has grown to the depth of mess that it has, but it was intentional...sort of. Why would someone intentionally let their house get to an overwhelming, cluttered mess on purpose? Because sometimes, something's just gotta give.

Just to be clear, my house isn't dirty...well, not filthy anyway.  We still take the trash out.  We still clean the bathroom weekly (mostly).  We still do the laundry regularly--even if it ends up in a pile on the couch. here).  But my office is truly a disaster because it's literally in the middle of a remodel...so it's overflowed onto the coffee table.  Then the regular things that would land on the coffee table migrate to the dining room table, which then overflows to the floor beneath the coat rack...you get the point.  And now I'm just done.

dining room table & front entry way "before"

the coffee table "before"

the coat rack "before"

My office "before"...

We've even stayed on top of the dishes when we didn't have a dishwasher for the last 3 months (more on that one

Why am I telling you all this?  Just to keep it real.  With the highlight reels that are often played on social media, it's easy to hide the real side of our lives...so here I am.  I recently finished up a huge project that I did outside of my regular, full time job.  I also had a crazy house selling that took longer to close than it should have.  While I loved working my side business, it took a lot of time.  I didn't love the house selling project, but I'm glad we did it.  All that is to say, at some point I had to choose to ignore the clutter in my house, so I could focus on the things in front of me that really need my attention.  I had to choose to walk away from my cluttered coffee table to go for a bike ride with my kids.  I had to ignore the overflowing mess in my office to keep my sanity by reading for 30 minutes. Now those two things are done, I will choose to take a month to truly deep clean my house.  Room by room.  Closet by closet.  Before I start my next big project, I am cleaning out the clutter.  My family knows this is coming, and they have agreed to help.

I'm a little late for spring cleaning, but just in time to preserve my clear minded thought process. The clutter in my house is now overflowing into my brain.  I'm committing to clearing out old toys, clothes, unwanted knickknacks.  I'm committing to at least 15 minutes each day, one area at a time. Once I clear out, I will organize.  I'll get help, if needed.  You are my witness.  This will be done...and it will be fabulous.

Anyone else with me on this?  If you are, then comment below (post a picture of your house clutter, if you're brave).  If you're not, then don't worry.  I'm not going to blog about decluttering for the next month, but I'm sure it will come up occasionally. Feel free to join us later, if you are so inclined, but always stop back for more Jen's Walls Talk blog goodness.  And if you'd like to rescue me from all this decluttering fun by hiring me to do some actually fun color consulting, faux painting, and/or redecorating, I'll not turn that away...but it might be a week or two before I start on your project.

Make it a beautiful day, friends.

Stop by Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to see what creative endeavors I'll be working on in the middle of the purge.  I always appreciate shares and subscribers!

No comments:

Post a Comment