Monday, January 4, 2016

How to Be A Do-er Without Goals

I would typically characterize myself as a do-er.  That hasn't always been the case, but I have learned to be that way on a relatively consistent basis.  I've also learned to not procrastinate.  I don't have time to procrastinate.  I have chosen to take on several big things in my life and if I want them all to get done, then I have to do them.  They won't do themselves!

I'm also a goal setter.  More than reaching the goal, I really enjoy the process.  I'm very process driven.  It is how I'm wired.  It's kind of a set the goal and then work backwards on how to get to the end result.  All those factors in consideration, then why am I having a hard time setting new goals for 2016??  Ugh.  I know myself well enough to know that I can't set impossible goals and just work toward it and be happy to land somewhere short of where I intend.  That's not helpful to me.  It's discouraging.  I also don't want to set goals so low that they are too easy to reach, and not really stretch myself.  Therein lies the rub.

 UL mustard seed & electric lime


If we're really being honest, I'm just over analyzing the whole situation.  That's truly what I do best.  I think and process and plan and figure out a way and think of a different way and think and process again and plan again and think of another way...you get my point.  It's okay to ask for help.  That I have learned.  So I asked my husband (who happens to not be a multi-tasker), and he told me that he can't figure out how I do as many things simultaneously as I do, so don't ask him for help on this one. Well, I'm glad I have a call with my coach on Tuesday.  Just for the record, I have been working on my goals for the last 4 weeks.  I've sat down at least 4 different times and tried to get them done, but I still have a sheet of paper with topics and no specifics.  Lots of broad strokes.  This girl needs a deadline.  If I don't have one, you and I both know that it won't get done.

Here's my goal: on Friday's post, I will report that I have my new goals set for 2016.

We'll see you then!  In the meantime, I'd love to hear what your goals are!  Comment below, if you dare to be so bold.  If you just want to be on the receiving end of my constantly moving thought train, type your email address in the subscribe box, and I'll deliver to your inbox twice a week.  Have a beautiful 2016, friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment