Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Perfecting Perfectionism

I want to be perfect.  There. I've said it.  It's out in the open.  Unfortunately, I'm so very far from perfect.  I do have strengths, but that doesn't mean perfection.  

As I head into my black belt test next week, I keep wanting to put it off again, and again, and maybe one more time because I want it to be perfect.  I don't just want it to be perfect because it's taken me so long to get here.  I want it to be perfect because I am reflecting my school and my Professor and instructors that have poured hundreds of hours into me.  I want them to look good through my efforts. I want their time to have not been wasted.  I know that it hasn't been wasted.  I've learned so much new information.  I've learned so much about myself that it could never be called a waste.  It's just that there is a little, lying voice that tries to fool me with untruths. 

"You're not good enough, Jennille."

"You're not strong enough, Jennille."

"Why aren't you done by now?  What's wrong with you?"

"You started this too late in life." You get the point.

 UL sugared plum bright white


Take every thought captive.  That's what God's word tells us in 2 Corinthians 10:5 .  Let's call these lies what they are: bold faced deception from the enemy to try and trip us up from what we are supposed to be doing.  Perfection isn't possible.  It just isn't.  Excellence, on the other hand...that is something we can strive for every day.

My challenge to you (and myself) is to quit trying to perfect perfectionism.  There comes a point when it turns into procrastinating perfectionism.  Then it's no longer a noble goal, it's just a time waster.  It's time to start.  It's time to finish.  It's time to go live.  We already talked about this.  Give yourself grace, remember?  Ninety percent perfect and shared with the world is better than 100% perfect and kept to yourself. (I can't take credit for that one.  That's Jon Acuff, again. I like how that guy thinks.)

So the gauntlet is thrown down.  Let go of perfectionism that is impossible.  Live with excellence.  Mess up.  Move on.  That's life. Enjoy it.

What are you trying to do perfectly?  Comment below.

 If you'd like to receive each of my posts as it comes out, be sure to sign up in the box above.  I will never sell your info.  It's just so you can stay in touch with my awesome blog.


2 comments:

  1. Jen, Sometime starting is the hardest part. I'm so glad you decided to start blogging this year. It can be a great creative outlet and really helps to keep things in perspective. And the best part about blogging is that your readers want to see the real you, not the perfect facade. No one can relate with perfection. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miranda! It has been a fun creative outlet for me. I just hope others can learn from my mistakes and challenges likes I have.:-)

      Delete