Wednesday, February 4, 2015

You Are Awesome.

I've mentioned before that I am a crossfitter.  If you're not familiar with what that looks like then here is the Reebok's "Be More Human" commercial from the Super Bowl:


I'd like to think that's what I look like, but I'm pretty sure I'm not quite there yet.  I couldn't quite tell you what there is, though.  My pants do fit better than when I started doing it.  My arms are more toned.  I can actually do a pull up now--mind you it's a kipping pull up with a black band (the 2nd thinnest support), but I could barely do one with a green AND purple band (the widest & 2nd widest support band) when I started.  I can even do a real push up.  I'm not bragging, and certainly there are others at my box (that's what we call a crossfit gym) that can do amazingly more than I can, but I am proud of myself.

Yesterday's workout was a bit on the hard side of things.  Thirty box jumps, 20 push press, then 30 pull ups.  As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.  I did 2 (rounds!), plus 11 box jumps of round 3, thank you very much.  I was proud of my accomplishment, but at the same time was a bit self-deprecating thinking I could have done more, but didn't.  I might have been a bit slow on the 2 rounds of pull ups, but I honestly felt I did push myself on the box jumps and push press.  In the middle of my picking on myself, one of my beautiful crossfit buddies, Tara, reminded me that I am awesome.  First of all, I was there...at 5:00 in the morning...working out.  Most people are sleeping at 5 a.m.  I'm not better than them.  I've just made a commitment to do that so I do it.  But that does make me awesome.  It's out of the norm.  It's exceptional, and that is awesome in itself.  Here's the other part that makes me awesome: I did it.  Yeah, baby.  I did it.

There is a fine line between humble and self-deprecating.  I like to think I'm humble.  I know that all my abilities come from God.  Apart from Him, I can do nothing. He gave me this body and mind.  They make up who I am. I don't work out because I hate my body.  I don't even dislike it.  Is it perfect by the crazy standards the world sets?  Nope. But I still love it, and it's the only body I'm going to get in this life.  I can take care of it as best as I can and see how far I'll go, or I can fill it with junk and abuse it and feel like junk along this journey called life.  I choose to be awesome.

How do you choose to be awesome? Comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment