Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Why I Wanted to Quit Crossfit

If you've ever done crossfit, then you know it's hard.  If you haven't done a crossfit workout, then just know it's hard.  It's not just hard, it's really hard.  When a new person starts, I always tell them that they will hurt in places they didn't know they had.  Up until this time, you have taken sitting down on a toilet for granted.  No more, my friend.  It becomes a "Ok, I can't wait any longer, but I know it's going to hurt, but I really need to go potty, so here comes the squat...OUCH!...and just fall onto the toilet" kind of experience.  Now doesn't that just inspire you to run right out to the closest box (that's what we call a crossfit gym) and join??  I know.  Not so much.  But it's good pain.  Moving on to the quitting thing.

My local crossfit gym is relatively young.  It's coming up on 4 years old.  I've been going since it first opened because it was a friend of mine that opened it. ( Of course I'll be a good friend and support you in this crazy.)  That's just the kind of person I am.  I'm very loyal to people and to concepts when I have taken ownership of them and called them my own.  That in itself is not enough to keep me going to crossfit, though.  It can be super painful--both physically and mentally.  Monday was one of those painful mental days.  It happened to be a longer workout.  It was 4 rounds of what felt like 500 different exercises.  It was so long and almost everyone else had finished.  The next class was coming in already.  It just felt like I would never be done.  I really wanted to quit.  Three rounds was still a great workout.  Right?  I don't want to mess up everyone else's schedule for the rest of the day because I was slow.  I'm just being generous to quit a few minutes early.  This is the game that goes on in my head.  It happens most every time I work out.  Here is the super cool part: even though I want to quit on a regular basis, I don't.  I've gotten in the habit of finishing.  Is it easy?  Definitely not.  It's a choice to quit and it's a choice to finish.  So even though I am still consistently one of the slowest people at my box, I still go.  I still finish.  I'm not there for everyone else.  I'm there to be healthy and strong for me.  I choose to.

Here's how I count sets of 10: I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.


What choice will you make today?

rebeccalovesrunning:    There we go, my new shoes and I are all ready for whatever the trail or life has to offer to us. :)
I borrowed this one from run for life.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment