Friday, January 23, 2015

Laundry Today or Naked Tomorrow


 Jen's Walls Talk

Sometimes I get behind on laundry.  Ok...often I get behind on laundry.  Right now there are 3 rather large piles of clean laundry on my floor in the family room.  I'm endeavoring to let go of my control in order to allow my kids the opportunity to learn how to do it themselves.

I relinquished control quite some time ago on them putting their own clothes away.  Yes, they probably aren't hanging all the shirts facing the same way like I would do.  (The clothes just feel better to look at when they all face the same way.  Don't you think so, too?)  Yes, the clothes might even be slightly wrinkled because they are not folded *just so* before they put it in their drawers.  (My theory on this is even if you don't pull it out of the dryer right away, if you fold it right, all the wrinkles will be pressed out of it before you actually wear it...well, most of the wrinkles.  I don't iron except once every 5 years, so I'm good with most of the wrinkles being gone.) But the kids aren't learning to take care of themselves properly without some guidance.  Someday--much sooner than I'd like--they will be out on their own, and they will not be coming back home for Mom to do their laundry.  I just don't play that game.  Never the less, laundry needs to be done on a regular basis.

I can't say that I love doing laundry, but I do enjoy not stinking.  It just has to be done.  At this point, I could go a couple different directions.  I could tell you to just "Suck it up, Buttercup!" which I do like to say from time to time.  However, a nicer, more loving way to go about this is to remind you (and myself) of the words found in Colossians 3:17.

"And whatever you do, 
whether in word or deed,
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Give thanks for doing laundry?  Yep.  I'm pretty sure that "whatever you do" covers laundry and all sorts of other not-so-fun activities, but it also covers the fun stuff.  So be thankful for time to spend with your kiddos--even in the simple things.  Take time to go play at the park with them...and not just watch from the bench.  Actually play with them.  Have fun!  Be thankful for laundry, and dishes, and vacuuming.  Here's a nicer way to remind yourself:

 Jen's WallsTalk

Our loved ones are nearby, for what seems to be a rapidly shortening time.  Care for them, teach them, love them well, and teach them to do laundry so they don't end of naked tomorrow.

What struggles or chores are you thankful for in your family?


No comments:

Post a Comment