Friday, January 30, 2015

Do You Have Too Much On Your Plate?



We've all heard it before.  Life is crazy.  And beautiful.  We all have what feels like 10 million things going on all the time.  It's just part of being human.  It might have looked a bit different a hundred years ago, but we always have something to do.  The question then becomes how much is too much? It depends on the person.  My hubby often tells me that I have too many things going on.  

"I don't know how you can possibly do all that," he tells me.  

I have a beautiful friend of mine that has a busy dental practice.  If anyone were to be an I-can-do-500-things-well-simultaneously kind of person, I would guess it would be her.  While discussing my hubby's comment to me, she confessed that she is most assuredly not that kind of person.  She said she can have 3 things on her plate at a time.  If you throw a 4th thing at her, then the whole plate tips over, but she has employees that can do 10 different things at once and keep track of them all.  I believe it's how we're made.  God knew what He was doing to create us all different.  There would be no variety if we were all the same.  How boring!  Even if we were all creative, but made the same, it would be boring.  We would all create the same painting, or write the same story over and over again.  In other words, we're different on purpose.

I'm a 10 things on my plate kind of person.  Like I said before, my hubby is definitely a 3 things on his plate kind of person.  Neither is right or wrong.  It's just how our brains function.  But we need each other.  I need him to help me make sure that I don't get 50 things going on my plate, because that would push me over.  He needs me to help support him when he does get 4 things on his plate.  All these activities and goings on can make life feel a little stormy sometimes.  Don't wait for the storm to pass!  Learn to dance in the rain.  The rain is life.  Go live it!

What type of person are you and, if you are married or in a relationship, does your other half share this quality with you or balance you out?  If you're similar, how do you keep from getting off kilter? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment