Monday, February 16, 2015

What Does It Mean to "Eat Well?"

 live well eat well

What does this mean?  To live well is to eat well. I'm going to explore this for a few minutes today and answer every single question or thought you've ever had about food.  After all, it's not like there are so many food ideas out there that it can be completely and utterly overwhelming and confusing to sort through them all to decide what's best for your family.  Are you sensing my sarcasm here?

The one thing that is common to every single eating plan, diet, or food lifestyle choice, is that what you put in your mouth makes a difference.  I don't care what body type you have.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you how many body types there are anymore: 4, 10, or 52!  Who knows, really?  There are short and thin types, short and stocky, short and curvy, medium and stocky, medium and athletic, tall and lanky, tall and thick, and the list goes on and on and on.  You get my point.  We're all different.  We're all beautiful.  We're all made in God's image.  

Recently, I started a book study with a group of beautiful ladies called The Daniel Plan.  It's been amazing.  I would consider myself a relatively healthy eater prior to doing this study.  That's the food I grew up eating and that's what tastes good to me.  I don't eat a lot of "junk" food.  It's not that I don't ever have any treats, but I try to keep them to a minimum.  The Daniel Plan is comprised of 5 main elements: faith, food, fitness, friends, and focus.  They feel that the "secret sauce" to the success of the plan has been the faith and friends elements.  Absolutely, I would agree.  To know that I can call upon God who created me and wants the very best that He has for me, so that I can serve Him to the best of my ability, when I am wanting to indulge in a food that just isn't going to make me feel well, is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.  In other words, I can pray.  So cool!  The friends element is super amazing, as well. Maybe I just know really fantastic women, but the thoughts and insights these ladies share each week is an encouragement to me.  They are real and honest about their struggles and their victories.  It is sweet times, for sure.

The food aspect of the Daniel Plan is very simple.  It boils down to this: if it comes from a plant (as in, green, living organism), eat it. If it is made in a plant (brick and mortar, science building), don't put it in your mouth.  That's pretty easy.  No processed foods.  Eat from the abundance of God's creation.  Try new things.  You just might like it.

Let's look back at my original question.  What does this expression mean: to live well is to eat well? In order to live well and do the things we are put on Earth to do, we must fuel our bodies with food that is nourishing us...not poisoning us.  But here's one (ok, two) more thoughts to remember along the way to wherever you are trying to get to:




I'd love to hear your thoughts on what eating well means to you and your family.  Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment