Friday, February 6, 2015

Happy Girls Are the Prettiest




I love this expression.  It doesn't say girls that are "perfect" are the prettiest.  It doesn't say the girls that have the most cleavage showing are the prettiest.  In our culture where it's the norm to wear clothes that are, in my humble opinion, all too revealing, we often miss the person underneath.  It distracts from the person behind the clothes when we get too caught up in the latest, tightest fashion.  It really does.  

There is a beautiful, very intelligent, very caring woman that I know (who shall remain nameless for the purposes of this discussion).  When you meet her, what you notice is her low neckline, and her tight jeans.  I am a woman and I get distracted by these things when I see her.  I can only imagine how distracting it would be for a visually stimulated man.  Hear me when I say that I am not judging.  Really I'm not.  What I am saying is that I am distracted from the message that you are trying to tell me when I see your cleavage.  Have you ever heard the saying "Your actions speak so loud I can't hear what you're saying?" That would apply in this situation.  It's ironic to think that the woman I mentioned before is actually rather shy.  You wouldn't think it to look at her, but that's the honest to goodness truth.  Once you get past the outside stuff going on, you will find an amazing, passionate, caring person.

So what is the point of my little rant here?  Why does all this matter?  Because of this girl.


This girl is my girl.  She is sweet, and funny, and kind.  And she LOVES to sing.  I don't want her to sell herself short someday by thinking that she has to reveal more of her body and less of her dignity to have people listen to her singing.  She is a precious gift.  She is God's daughter.  She does not need to cheapen her self worth to please anyone.  She is a happy girl therefore she is pretty.  In fact, she is beautiful.

I realize I might be oversimplifying this issue, but I don't think it needs to be complicated.  I'm not telling you to wear a turtle neck and floor length skirt.  I certainly don't, but let's look in the mirror ladies and take a good look, and then ask yourself what it is you are really saying.

I am now stepping down of my soapbox.  I'd love to hear your comments below.  Agree or disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment