Friday, July 1, 2016

What Did You Catch?

You've probably heard the phrase "more is caught than taught" when it comes to teaching our kids the lessons we want them learn in this life.  Yesterday, I had one of those opportunities, whether I wanted it or not.

While attempting to take my son to his sports physical on the craziness that is free sports physical day, I received a phone call from my husband telling me that there was an error with the order of shingles he had placed...that was supposed to be delivered right then.  He was not in a position that he could leave what he was doing.  The rain was coming soon.  The old shingles were already torn off (and hence any protection they would normally provide).  And did I mention it was already starting to sprinkle happy, little rain drops?  He couldn't leave.  He had to finish "drying in" the roof before the rain hit in full force.  And the shingle order had to be fixed.

I am not a roofer.  I have never been a roofer.  I really don't know that much about roofing other than what I hear second hand from my husband.  But I was the one that had to calmly go to the hardware store and straighten out the mix up.  Remember how this story started?  I was at sports physical day with my son.  He got to witness the entire ordeal.  To the hardware store we went.  To the contractors desk.  To the lady upstairs.  Downstairs to the manager.  Back to the lady upstairs with the manager.  Fill out paperwork...and leave.  To the car we went after talking to everyone we possibly could.  Then we had one more conversation: with God.  We got to the car and I prayed a tired, unrehearsed, frustration laden, emotional prayer.
"Holy God.  I don't know what else to do.  Help.  You are in control.  I am not..."
 UL Caribbean Blue & Lilac Bouquet


It was a pretty desperate prayer, as my 13-year-old son watched.  I don't know what he saw yesterday. I told him it wasn't a time to freak out.  We just have to go do what we have to do.  We have to fix it. There is no other option.  So did he see blue vaser tenacity or did he see a quietly desperate mom walk away and surrender to the God who created all of it?  I hope he saw both.  Because it's not quitting to turn to God in prayer and you've done all that you can do.

Make it a beautiful day, friends.

Hop on over to Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to see more of what I'm working on (@JensWallsTalk).   You can also subscribe to get each new post by entering your email in the subscribe box.  Thanks for stopping by.  If you like what you've read, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment