Friday, July 29, 2016

Lazy vs. Rest

Lazy implies a lack of motivation.  Resting implies motivation, but intentional pausing of motion. Lazy is de-motivated.  Resting is intentional.  Resting is rejuvenating.  Lazy is negative momentum. 

I know I need to rest.  I know I am not lazy.  I know I work very hard...at all the things I do.  And yet I still feel guilty about resting.  Why is that?  

It's not that I can't stop doing.  I can pause and be intentional, but in the back of my mind I'm always thinking.  I'm thinking I could just go put one load of laundry in.  Then it will wash while I rest.  I can just wash one sink of dishes.  They can dry while I'm resting.  I can just fold that one load of laundry. Then I won't have to stare at it while I hang out with my kids.  I can just organize that one spot in my office that keeps catching things.  Then it won't distract me when I walk by.  I can just clean up the coffee table.  Then I will feel better about it when I sit down on the couch with my daughter.  I can just...  I can just...one more thing.  "One more just" is robbing my peace--if I let it.

It's not enough to not do.  It's not enough to cease motion.  I have to calm my mind.  I have to focus on nothing.  I know it sounds a little silly and a bit too simple, but if I write things down, then I can stop thinking about it.  Then I know I won't forget because it's recorded.  Even with that, though, I don't rest easily.  I have to choose to rest.

 color: NEW UL nautical blue
How do you rest?  How do you rest your mind?  Tell me in the comments below.

Make it a beautiful day, friends.

You can also visit me on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook (@JensWallsTalk).  Thanks for subscribing.

No comments:

Post a Comment