Monday, July 11, 2016

Why Do We Need Distraction??

I'm sitting here writing this post for this coming week and I'm struggling with words.  I have words, but they're not the right words.  Instead of focusing and digging into the challenge, I keep grabbing my phone to look at Pinterest, or Facebook, or Instagram.  Why do I do that?  I know I'm not the only one that does it.  In fact, I get onto my kids for doing that very thing quite frequently.  

"Go do something with your hands," I tell them...and then I sit down at my computer.  I justify it in my mind by telling them (and myself) that I'm doing something for my business.  While I am doing something to grow my business, my platform, my ideas, my brand, my whatever it is, I'm also just distracting myself.  Then I feel guilty for not stopping and paying attention to them with undivided attention.  

I just stopped typing to look at my phone.  Yuck.  Is this an addiction?  Seriously and truly, I believe it is!  I do actually have to look at my devices for my business, but it's become more than that.  I've read that when we get a notification on our phone, our bodies react in the pleasure centers of our brain. Therefore, it feels good to get a text/email/facebook/instagram/whatever notification.  That's why we keep coming back.  Does it feel pleasurable to pick up our phone?  The actual act of picking up my phone really does nothing for me.  It's not a warm hug from my kids.  It's not a passionate kiss from my husband.  So why do I do it?  I don't like the headlines these days.  I'm so over the election junk. (I'll be voting, but I don't want to hear about anything else.) I have beautiful, wonderful, honest, and true friends, so I don't need to be most popular on facebook. So, again I ask, why do I do it?  Outside of getting the word out about my or my husband's business, I don't know

 UL color: electric pink
I'll be adding this to a box for phones & tablets, at my house. Get yours here.


Being the "doing" kind of person that I am, I am going to take action.  I need to walk away from the notifications on my phone.  Yuck. (I just picked up my phone again to look at it.  I was in the middle of typing a sentence!) Aside from my calendar, I will be turning off all the notifications on my phone for the next week.  Something tells me I need to go longer, but I'll start there.  I'm truly disgusted with myself right now.  Since I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, I know I can do this. Anyone want to join me?  You'll have to comment below because I won't be checking facebook for responses...

Make it a beautiful day, friends.  Go enjoy the day.  Put your phone down.

I will continue to post on Instagram and those other places, but just because I'm working on some really fun projects right now and I want to share that with you.  Thanks for following me (@JensWallsTalk).  You can also subscribe to this blog by scrolling down to "Follow by Email" box at the bottom of this post.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment