Friday, April 22, 2016

I'm a SECRET Ninja

If you've been following me for any length of time, chances are that you've heard me mention that I do karate.  You probably know I have my black belt, and if you've been following me for a while, then you know it took me a while (6 1/2 years!) to get it and I had to work through quite a bit of stuff in my head before I could get it.  It's not a secret.  But since my school was featured in my local paper for an upcoming Women's Self-Defense class we are hosting, I've had at least 3 people that I know come up and tell me they had no idea that I did karate.  Hmmm...it got me thinking: how do they not know that I do karate when I spend at 4-5 hours a week at the karate school and I promote it on Facebook frequently?

Granted that each of these three people are not besties of mine, but they are people I interact with on a fairly regular basis.  I see them at the store or church and chat for a few minutes, but apparently, nothing beyond the weather and other light conversation topics.  I'm not upset they didn't know about me doing karate.  That's not it at all.  I'm just concerned that I about what level of superficial am I living in when people don't know that I have been doing karate for over 7 years now?



The next thought that came to me was that outside of occupation and who their family members are, I couldn't tell you a single thing that any of those people do.  Ouch.  So here is my new goal: instead of just interacting with people on a relatively superficial level, I want to get to know them better.  I know that I won't know everyone in their deepest, darkest places, but it will be fun to get to know them more...what do they like to do?  What are their hobbies?  Etc.

We were put on this earth to be in relationship with other people.  So let's go do it, friends.  Join me in moving past the surface.  

Make it a beautiful day, friends.

I'd love to have you subscribe to this blog, and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (@JensWallsTalk).  See you around!  And feel free to introduce yourself when you stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment