Monday, October 12, 2015

How Will You Be Remembered?

Recently, one of my high school teachers passed away.  She was always a very healthy, active person, but within the last year or so, she developed a brain tumor.  I do not know the details of her death.  In fact, I prefer to remember her how she was.  She was kind and firm, always smiling, and a good teacher.  I still remember things she taught me my freshman year of high school.    I was saddened to hear of her passing.

Something bothered me about her passing, though.  She was a really good teacher for a long time. I'm sure I was not the only student she impacted.  Here's what bothered me: she requested to not have a service of any kind.  Part of this was, I'm sure, because she was very humble.  She wasn't a fussy kind of lady.  I'm sure she didn't want people making a big to-do on her behalf.  I'm sure she didn't want to put people out by taking the time to do a service.  I really don't know all that went into her decision to not have a service.  I hadn't seen her for several months, and I didn't know she was ill when I did see her.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't expect a large and formal to-do when I die.  What I'd like is for my friends to gather and tell stories of all the dorky, silly things I did.  Feel free to make fun of me, because certainly I do.  Have a BBQ and laugh and have a good time.  Really and truly, this is what I want.  I have one friend that told me she attended a fun-eral.  Fun being the active word.  I have enjoyed my life with all its ups and downs and hard and silly spots.  I know I will be in a heaven because I know my savior, Jesus.  I know I'm not perfect in this life, so it's okay to remember my lumps and bumps, too.  I'd like to be remembered for the positive impact I had on those around me, but more than anything for the way I hopefully made people feel.

 UL lilac bouquet & cobblestone gray


How do you want to be remembered?  What do you want people to say about you when you're gone?  If you're not happy with what they might say, then change now.  You're not going to get another chance at this life.  Please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment