Friday, October 23, 2015

Chivalry is Dead

Or is it?  It appears to be.  

I'm sitting in the SeaTac airport with my hubby waiting for our flight. We scored some super cheap plane tickets, so we decided to have a quick getaway...just the two of us.  We had a lovely time!  On our arrival, I noticed a sticker on the window of the bus:

It is federal law that if there is a disabled or elderly person who needs your seat you will be asked to give them your seat.
Seriously?  Yep. I'm not even kidding.  I said something about it to hubby when I saw it.  "Isn't that automatic? If you see a person who needs a seat, shouldn't you just do that?  A person shouldn't have to be asked, right?" He agreed, but there wasn't opportunity for it to be tested, so we let it go.

Fast forward to the return trip.  We stepped onto the shuttle and it was full of men. Literally, full of men.  I was the only woman.  Another woman boarded just before we pulled out.  Not a single man offered their seat.  I get it that we were both in t-shirt and jeans.  We were both able bodied and healthy, but that's not the point is it?


 UL lemon chiffon & Valencia orange


If my son had been with us, I would have made him get up and give his seat to a woman.  These men were old enough to know better.  I was embarrassed for them.  They should have been embarrassed themselves.

So back to my original question.  Is chivalry (good manners!) dead? No. As long as there are people willing to teach their children, especially our young men, how to properly respect another human being, then we'll be ok.

What do you think? I'd love some feedback on this one.  Is it antiquated to think a man should give up his seat for a woman? Or is it just good manners? Please comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment