Monday, March 21, 2016

On Living With Sick

I almost thought I wanted to be sick once. You get a lot of attention and while the cuddles and hugs I get from my kids when they are sick are cherished, I really don't like it when they are not feeling well. When someone is sick--chronically ill--they get a lot of attention...and that can make other not so sick kids feel left out. 

I watched my dad as he wasn't well. He actually died when he was 57.  That's not very old, really, but it's 13 years ago now.  It's easy for me to remember how long ago it was because my son was just 3 months old when he died. My son is now 13.  My kids didn't know him.  They'll never know where I get my geeky side from.  The man I now call dad is not the same as my biological dad was, but my kids love Granddad and he loves them.  

My kids don't know what is like to live with someone that is chronically ill.  I'm thankful for that, but at the same time...there are a good many lessons to be learned, if one is willing. I can be compassionate. I don't know that I was always compassionate or patient when we were living through it, but in hindsight, I know that he didn't choose to be sick. I know that being sick sucks, and I don't have to be sick to know that. I know that just because he was sick, I don't have to be. I don't have to feel guilty for being healthy, either.  

 UL chocolate brown & whipped cream
Get your "serenity prayer" here


Being chronically ill shapes us and those around us.  I've come to understand, though, that I don't have to be ill to identify with and have compassion or empathy for another hurting person. 

Choose to make it a beautiful day, friends. 

If this post resonates with you, please feel free to share or comment below.  You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram  (@JensWallsTalk ). Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment