Friday, March 11, 2016

Hard Conversations

Some people call it an elephant in the room.  I call it that thing that's hanging out there.  Either way, it needs to be dealt with...you know what I'm talking about.  Someone has offended you, or worse yet, you've offended someone.  I've done it about a bajillion times by this point in my life.  Here's what I've learned:

 1. I need to fix it.  If I offended, then I need to own up and apologize.

 2. I need to fix it--even when I don't know I've hurt you. I can't tell you how many times I've offended someone and not known it.  Often it's unintentional, but I can't apologize or make it right with you if I don't know you're upset with me.

 3. Yes.  It's hard to apologize sincerely, but it's better to have the hard conversation and fix the situation than to drift apart from a friend or loved one.  Even though this person has hurt you, remember they are dear to you...or have been in the past.

 4. Just do it.  This phrase applies to hustles, jobs, dreams...and hard conversations.  Don't linger and dwell on the hurt.  Just have the conversation.  Rip the band-aid off. You'll be glad on the other side of it.  

I tell you these ideas not because I'm an expert, but from personal experience.  Now go.  Fix it. You'll be glad you did.

I will add this final note: sometimes you just need to let it go, too.  Sometimes you've asked for forgiveness and the other person is not ready to accept it.  Sometimes.  Sometimes they don't see that there is or was a problem.  Apologize anyway.

 UL crimson red
Get your "Kind Word" expression here.


Life is too short to stay mad forever.  Okay.  I'm done being Dr. Phil for today.  I have been a jerk more than I like, or really care to admit.  But the conversations I'm talking about are not with bullies, haters, or any other type of random, malicious persons.  They are another deal entirely.

Choose to make it a beautiful day.

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@JensWallsTalk).
     

No comments:

Post a Comment